Nineteen organizations from across the political spectrum are suing the NSA for violating their First Amendment right of association by illegally collecting their call records. Well, if they weren't being watched before…
- Accused of sexual harassment, San Diego Mayor Bob Filner responded, "I'm a hugger." It isn't the hugs, Bob; it's the feels you keep copping.
- In much of the world, traditional bankers using practices dating back centuries in the Middle East and Africa offer an effective way to escape the clutches of currency controls and tax collectors.
- The Treasury Department now admits that IRS targeting included candidates for office and political donors. Whoops.
- Britain's National Health Service, prominently celebrated at the Olympic games, keeps killing patients at an embarrassingly high rate.
- Turkish police arrested 30 people in a crackdown on protests, so keep Istanbul off your vacation itinerary just a bit longer.
- Panamanian officials intercepted a North Korean ship loaded with ballistic missiles and other weapons. Somebody tell Hans Blix!
Did you write about liberty between July 1, 2012 and June 30, 2013? Reason welcomes you to enter this year's Bastiat Prize for Journalism, with a total prize purse of $16,000.
Get Reason.com and Reason 24/7 content widgets for your websites.