Public Health

Yosemite Park Service Was Warned About Rodents

Two died from exposure to hantavirus

|

The National Park Service was warned in 2010 that efforts should be stepped up to inspect for rodents in Yosemite and prevent them from entering areas where people sleep, a report obtained Thursday states.

The disclosure came just days after a Pennsylvania visitor became the second park guest confirmed to have died of hantavirus pulmonary syndrome. Public health officials were able to confirm both victims had stayed at the park's Curry Village in Yosemite Valley.