- Obama has directed Director of National Intelligence James Clapper, who has been accused of lying to Congress, to head up a review of government surveillance programs.
- New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg has said that “countless lives” have been saved by the NYPD’s Stop and Frisk program, which was recently ruled unconstitutional by a federal judge.
- North Carolina Governor Patrick McCrory has signed a bill that introduces strict photo identification requirements for voters. Civil rights groups have filed lawsuits in response.
- Israel is going ahead with plans to build 900 new settlement housing units in East Jerusalem.
- A Philadelphia police officer who lost his job after being caught on camera punching a woman during a parade has been given his job back.
- Facebook is buying the 12-year-old voice-based browsing company Mobile Technologies.
Get Reason.com and Reason 24/7 content widgets for your websites.