- White House officials confirm the administration is still committed to pushing for an “assault weapons” ban beyond any discussion of universal background checks.
- The City of Camden, N.J., will pay $3.5 million to 88 people whose convictions were overturned due to widespread police corruption. Five officers face accusations of planting evidence and filing false reports. Their entire police force is being disbanded.
- A young DREAM Act supporter and immigration activist and her family were raided by ICE. She and her brother are safe under President Barack Obama’s program for younger illegal immigrants. Her mother does not have the same protection.
- Obama and Afghanistan President Hamid Karzai are meeting today to discuss U.S. troop withdrawals. There had been discussion of the possibility of pulling all troops from Afghanistan, but at a press conference today, Obama said remaining troops would move to a support role.
- Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel wants to explore the possibility of privatizing Midway Airport.
- Authorities in Georgia are looking for help investigating the shooting death of a gun enthusiast with one of the most popular video channels on YouTube.
Have a news tip for us? Send it to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Follow Reason 24/7 on Twitter: @reason247.