- Jobless claims are down, which is quite convenient information on the day President Barack Obama will give a big speech arguing for a second term.
- Stock markets are responding positively to the European Central Bank’s bond-buying plan.
- Auto unions may be a dominant force at the Democratic National Convention but elsewhere, not so much.
- A mother and her three daughters are dead in Missouri in what authorities suspect is a murder-suicide.
- California’s controller has noticed that school district executives get huge raises soon before they retire, jacking up their pensions.
- A majority of LGBT students say they feel unsafe at school. Maybe if there were more competition for students, administrators would feel more pressure to crack down on inappropriate behavior?
- Hacked e-mails allegedly from security firm Stratfor seem to indicate that the FBI knew about the NYPD’s surveillance tactics and knew that they’re illegal. Stratfor says some of the e-mails may be forged or altered.
GET REASON MAGAZINE
Get Reason's print or digital edition before it’s posted online
- Video Game Nation: How gaming is making America freer – and more fun.
- Matt Welch: How the left turned against free speech.
- Nothing Left to Cut? Congress can’t live within their means.
- And much more.