Earlier this year, President Barack Obama approved a big increase in troops in Afghanistan (basically a 50 percent jack, up to a total of around 65,000).
Now the top U.S. and NATO commander there says we need even more troops over there:
Gen. Stanley A. McChrystal says emphatically: "Failure to gain the initiative and reverse insurgent momentum in the near-term (next 12 months)—while Afghan security capacity matures—risks an outcome where defeating the insurgency is no longer possible."
His assessment was sent to Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates on Aug. 30 and is now being reviewed by President Obama and his national security team.
McChrystal didn't specify the number of additional troops he wants (that will come in a separate report apparently) but did say failure to provide them would "likely result in mission failure." Read the Washington Post story here.
Yesterday on Meet The Press, President Obama had this to say:
"Until I'm satisfied that we've got the right strategy I'm not gonna be sending some young man or woman over there—beyond what we already have.... I'm not interested in just being in Afghanistan for the sake of being in Afghanistan or saving face or, in some way—you know, sending a message that America is here for the duration."
That's good to hear, but if past is prologue, then expect Obama to give the commander about half of what he asks for, as he did earlier this year.