• Big city police chiefs say illegal immigrants' fear of discovery hampers law enforcement, urge Congress to separate local law enforcement from immigration enforcement.
• California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger says state may have to issue IOUs unless legislature can overcome budget impasse.
• Taxpayer-funded overseas trips for members of Congress have tripled since 2001, increased tenfold since 1995.
• Study finds that over time* ex-cons pose no greater risk of re-offending than the general population.
• ACLU contends federal government is using false confessions obtained by torture of a detainee to keep him at Guantanamo. He me may have been as young as 12 when he was captured by Afghan police.
(*Edit: "over time" added to better reflect the study's findings.)