An Indiana candymaker has recalled packages of its chocolate-covered marshmallow eggs, which may contain salmonella.
Zachary Confections announced the voluntary recall of the Easter treats Wednesday after a sample taken during routine testing revealed “the potential for salmonella contamination,” according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
Salmonella is a bacterium that can cause serious and sometimes deadly infections in the very young and the very old, as well as in people who have weakened immune systems, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The foodborne bacterium kills roughly 400 Americans each year, the agency says.
Even healthy adults exposed to salmonella risk fever, pain, diarrhea, nausea and vomiting. In rare instances the organism can invade the bloodstream, leading to infections of the heart and arteries, as well as arthritis.
Source: ABC News. Read full article. (link)