- free market guy who digs Ayn Rand and doesn't like the snoopy NSA. Yeah, he's a border warrior, but that's a pretty good start. David Brat, the economics professor who squished second-ranking House Republican Rep. Eric Cantor in the primaries, is a
- Like Brat, his Democratic opponent, Jack Trammell, is a professor at Randolph-Macon College. Unlike Brat, Trammell is writing a vampire novel.
- Having had his clock cleaned, Cantor will step down as House majority leader.
- The Veterans Administration earned itself a full-fledged criminal investigation by the FBI. Whoops.
- In two days, the Iraqi government lost control of Mosul, Iraq's second-largest city, and then Tikrit, to Islamic militants.
- Thousands of unaccompanied minors fleeing violence in El Salvador and Guatemala are turning up at the U.S. border, seekig refuge. They're ending up crowded into holding facilities.
- The weapons used by Jared Michael Padgett to kill a classmate at an Oregon high school had been locked up at his home, "but he defeated the security measures," according to the local police chief.
GET REASON MAGAZINE
Get Reason's print or digital edition before it’s posted online
- Video Game Nation: How gaming is making America freer – and more fun.
- Matt Welch: How the left turned against free speech.
- Nothing Left to Cut? Congress can’t live within their means.
- And much more.