- reports that a US government default is unlikely even absent an increase in the debt limit, while Republicans remind Democrats that they, too, once opposed increasing the debt limit. The credit rating agency Moody’s
- Individuals, businesses and even local and state agencies are increasingly ignoring federal orders to shut down. Federal authorities, meanwhile, booted a volunteer trying to mow the Lincoln Memorial lawn. The partial government shutdown has also forced craft breweries to put their plans for new beers on hold because new recipes and even labels require federal approval. President Obama scheduled meetings with House Democrats today and House Republicans tomorrow to discuss ending the partial shutdown.
- FOIA requests to the NSA are up 1000 percent since the first Edward Snowden disclosures earlier this year.
- Several Democrat lawmakers were arrested during an immigration rally held at the National Mall today.
- The former mayor of Detroit, Kwame Kilpatrick, will be sentenced in federal court tomorrow on 24 counts of bribery, extortion, racketeering, fraud, and tax evasion.
- An off-duty undercover NYPD officer involved in a road rage incident between an SUV driver and a motorcycle gang has been arrested on riot and criminal mischief charges, possibly compromising a wider investigation.
- A PPP poll shows a majority of Texans supporting the legalization of recreational marijuana.
- Malala Yousafzai the Pakistani girls’ activist who the Taliban attempted to kill says she hasn’t done enough to deserve the Nobel Peace Prize, for which she was nominated.
- NASA’s Juno spacecraft flies by the Earth today for a gravity boost on its way to Jupiter.
Have a news tip? Send it to us!