- Japan and Russia are hoping to officially end World War II. The two countries never signed a peace treaty thanks to a dispute over the Kuril Islands.
- Defense attorneys have begun discussions on a deal that would spare Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev the death penalty in exchange for his cooperation in the investigation.
- A group of prominent GOP donors are lobbying to get Republican legislators to support gay marriage.
- The Florida Senate has sent Gov. Rick Scott a set of reforms that aim to reduce the amount of time prisoners spend on death row.
- Legislators in California are considering a bill that would limit the disciplinary roles of police in schools.
- Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands has abdicated. Her son, Willem-Alexander, is the first Dutch king in over a century.
Get Reason.com and Reason 24/7 content widgets for your websites.
Have a news tip? Send it to us!