- Rumor has it that tonight's mystery Republican speaker is: Clint Eastwood.
- A member of Mitt Romney's U.S. Secret Service detail left his gun unattended in the can on the candidate's charter plane. It was discovered by a CBS News/National Journal reporter who promptly described it as an "automatic assault weapon thingy." Well .. Not that last part.
- Next week's Democratic convention will "highlight the significant role President Obama’s strong record on national security and veterans issues," says a spokesperson. Hint: This means wall-to-wall Osama bin Laden references.
- Astronomers discovered a simple sugar molecules floating in the gas around a star some 400 light-years away. As further evidence of life, it's accompanied by non-dairy creamer.
- In the 34th such incident this year, the U.S.-led military coalition in Afghanistan says three of its troops were killed by a man in an Afghan army uniform.
- Activists appear poised to force a public vote on Los Angeles's ban on medical marijuana dispensaries.
- The storm formerly known as Hurricane Isaac heads north to tour the heartland after pounding the Gulf Coast.
Don’t forget to sign up for Reason’s daily AM/PM updates for more content.