- The Syrian Prime Minister, Riad Hijab, has defected to Jordan with his family. Three other ministers are rumored to have also defected.
- Curiosity successfully landed on Mars. The rover is scheduled to carry out a two year search for evidence of life on the Red Planet.
- Mitt Romney’s campaign raised over $100 million in the month of July. Ninety four percent of all donations were for less than $250.
- The gunman responsible for this weekend’s shooting at a Sikh temple in Wisconsin has been identified as ex-soldier Wade Michael Page. The FBI is treating the incident as an act of domestic terrorism.
- Hillary Clinton has met Nelson Mandela on the last leg of her African tour.
- Occupy protesters have vandalized Obama’s campaign headquarters in Oakland, CA.
GET REASON MAGAZINE
Get Reason's print or digital edition before it’s posted online
- Peter Suderman: Obamacare's 12 false premises and broken promises. Plus: The long, tortured quest for a conservative health policy.
- Consumers should drive medicine
- Jacob Sullum: Prosecutors disarm defendants by freezing their assets
- Ronald Bailey: The Aloha State’s dishonest anti-biotech campaign