- The Minnesota government shut down this morning after an impasse during budget talks between Democratic Gov. Mark Dayton and GOP lawmakers.
- "Dayton police 'mistook' a mentally handicapped teenager's speech impediment for 'disrespect,' so they Tasered, pepper-sprayed, and beat him and called for backup from 'upward of 20 police officers'."
- Former Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty has raised this fundraising cycle roughly the same amount he raised in 2008, when nobody knew who he was.
- Outgoing Defense Secretary Robert Gates apologizes for the unexplained firing and smearing of a defense intelligence analyst in 2009.
- Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaiao starts an all-female DUI chain gang.
- Is there any doubt that British Journalist Johann Hari is a plagiarist?
New at Reason.tv: "The War on Lemonade Stands! Nanny of the Month."