Greg Gutfeld: The Joy of Hate, Liberal Speech Police, & Conservative Punks

Red Eye and The Five host Greg Gutfeld talks with Nick Gillespie about his new book, The Joy of Hate: How to Triumph over Whiners in the Age of Phony Outrage, why liberals can't stand punk rockers with conservative politics, and deep-vein thrombosis in Melville's Moby-Dick.

About 10.15 minutes.

Shot by Jim Epstein and Anthony Fisher; edited by Todd Krainin.

Scroll below for downloadable versions and subscribe to Reason TV's YouTube channel to receive automatic notifications when new videos go live.

Editor's Note: We invite comments and request that they be civil and on-topic. We do not moderate or assume any responsibility for comments, which are owned by the readers who post them. Comments do not represent the views of Reason.com or Reason Foundation. We reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason at any time. Report abuses.

• Fist of Etiquette||

Why is Big Sis cockblocking me from subscribing to Reason TV's channel? Speaking of Reason TV, did you guys throw a sweater on Gutfeld to soften his image for this interview? Because you forgot to fix his collar.

Clearly you never watch Redeye

• Fist of Etiquette||

No I wear contacts.

• Lewisite||

Elitist...That's not the point.

• Fist of Etiquette||

Elitist is when I used to wear just one contact so that the other eye could use the monocle.

• Bobarian||

Reading Gutfeld's book now.
    Enjoyed one good comment --
    To paraphrase - "I became a conservative by hanging out with liberals.
    I became a libertarian by hanging out with conservatives."
    My question to the board - What do you become by hanging out with Libertarians?
    My comment on the book; I'm not sure that Gutfeld is a true scotsman, but he's getting there.

• cryptarchy||

And... Where was Nick's leather?

• Anonymous Coward||

The Jacket can survive without its host for a brief period of time while it hunts for fresh prey.

• Surly Chef||

Obviously it was hat home being rubbed with mink oil by poor, starving, child laborers for mere pennies.

• 0x90||

Sounds like a deal, I charge my child laborers a lot more than that.

• mangerson||

Watched this video to see what kind of nonsense was about to be spewed. But, as a liberal, I must admit that Greg is on the money in respect to at least a subset of the liberal community. I live in a very liberal college town in California and have always been a bit dumbfounded of how all the "tolerant" liberals in the community can spew such vile against those who are pro traditional marriage, or pro life, etc. This is not a trait of liberalism that I am proud of.

• ||

Then there is hope for you.

• ||

I suppose you're technically correct about it being a subset, since 100% would be a subset. No one, not even us, is more hateful and less tolerant than TEAM BLUE.

• T o n y||

--Team Red

• Banjos||

How convenient that your definition of any of those is "whatever team red is spewing".

• Sevo||

T o n y| 11.24.12 @ 2:00PM |#
    "Those hateful intolerant liberals, not letting us spew racism, homophobia, and sexism without calling us on it!"

Shithead, Up/=Down no matter how many times you lie about it.

• Cool Story, Bro||

I think Mia Love's treatment by the left is representative of how racist the Blue Tribe can be once gubmint bennies are threatened.

• Cool Story, Bro||

TONY -

Team Blue avatar Charles Barron called to thank you for having his back.

The Fuhrer

• Lewisite||

This right here is the duplicitous horseshit that has gone on long enough. In many lefty circles, post-modernism/moral relativism is the espoused consensus, and tolerance is demanded for any cause deemed worthy of their attention. Tolerance is a two way street, if all views are equal...than views arising from the most revered academics == to the lowest racist/bigot/homophobe are too, in for a penny so to speak. The intellectual dishonesty here is that tolerance means slight degrees of variation between to lefty blowhards contemplating different shades of their own collective dogma. The hypocrisy is breathtakingly stupid.

• Sevo||

"This right here is the duplicitous horseshit that has gone on long enough"

Shithead is nothing if not duplicitous, and I've yet to see a post which is not totally dishonest in some form or other.
    *Any* sophistry, lie, misdirection, innuendo will suffice.

• T o n y||

Which circles would those be? If you're a true moral relativist then you wouldn't be calling yourself a political liberal. Liberals care about toleration of minorities, and are perfectly at home calling out the intolerant. Racism, sexism, and homophobia are not attributes of a minority class that deserve protection.

• Disgusted Dem||

Tony is a perfect example of the stupidity and brainwashing that made me desire to no longer be registered as a Democratic voter. It's unlikely he'll have the intelligence to realize it was all the minority voters in CA who turned out in 2008 to vote for Obama and also voted for Prop. 8, the anti-gay marriage initiative. Minority groups are also very racist. (I'm a member of a minority group so I feel free to say this as I see it happening all the time.) But you'll never see the Democratic party leadership ever admit how much of the rank and file of the party is intolerant and racist.

• Disgusted Dem||

Oh, and let's not forget it was a progressive, liberal Democratic president who signed the executive order to round up thousands of people and throw them into concentration camps because of their race. I wonder how Tony's cult-like brainwashing deals with that bit of information?

• Lewisite||

It never happened; it's just a right-wing conspiracy/political wedge issue to confuse the stupi...vulnerable minority voters. Sure the left condescends to their minority base on a daily base, but think of all the good they do for them...un like those racist, bloodsucking Rethuglicans(tm) that would have them all rounded up and sent to camps and....oooh, never mind…fuck you, that’s why.

/fingers in ears..lalalalalalalala

• Brutus||

See, if you tell gays how to live their lives, you're a stiff-spined hater prude. If you tell the whole fucking population how to live their lives to the tiniest detail, that's progressive.

• Rick Santorum||

If you tell the whole fucking population how to think, that's progressive.

FTFY.
    _________________________________

I define a living wage as making enough money to afford basic necessities while having enough money left over to put in savings.

• ΘJΘʃ de águila||

And when anyone calls out Junior-Stalinist Pig Tony and the Obama cult of Neo-Con-Progressives for their advocacy of interventionist War-Statism and domestic surveillance and Police-Statism.....

Well it must be a racist, homophobic Red Stater, right? (As if Obama isn't the biggest homophobe around). Fuck yourself over this one, Tony.

• SKR||

They are easily identifiable by the "tolerance" bumper sticker.

• phil@gogamevox.com||

Have you ever challenged them?

FUCK MICHIGAN

• Caleb Turberville||

I don't have a dog in this race, but I'm betting a lot of Big Ten fans are hoping that UM beats tOSU to give some legitimacy to having Wisky in the conference title game.

• Banjos||

Sloopy banned me from sitting on our couch because it was "jinxing the game". He is allowing me to sit on our love seat, but may change his mind later.

• ||

So it's your fault that they don't want to tackle. Goddammit, Banjos.

• Caleb Turberville||

OT (Wal-Mart related):

I've seen some sympathetic writers talk about their fear that Wal-Mart will fire those workers who protested yesterday. But shouldn't those workers be able to find employment elsewhere; and if not, doesn't that mean that the demand for their skills is at such low that it would be reasonable not to rattle the chains of Wal-Mart (the only employer that has, so far, expressed any demand for their labor)?!

• Sevo||

I doubt Wal-Mart would fire them for PR reasons, but if they did get fired, I'd have a hard time working up sympathy.

• ||

If you hate the poor and want them to pay more for their basic necessities, if you enjoy substandard quality in your products and you want jobs to go overseas...

By all means. Union up...retard.

• ||

Wait, we don't love goldbricking, lazy, violent, thieving, politically connected union scumbag crooks here? I was sure we did.

• ||

It's just because we are intolerant.

• Rick Santorum||

What about lazy, violent, thieving, politically connected corporate scumbag crooks here? The kind that get corporate subsidies and bailouts.

• T o n y||

It's called ingenuity when rich people do it.

• Sevo||

T o n y| 11.24.12 @ 2:01PM |#
    "It's called ingenuity when rich people do it."

Shithead, is it possible that you ever have posted something which wasn't a lie or some other form of dishonesty?
    If so, I've never seen it.

• ||

You don't pay attention much, do you?

This isn't the website that's in favor of "green jobs" schemes involving connected cronies getting sweetheart deals.

Here, let me redirect you:

www.whitehouse.gov

• Jordan||

Try reading the archives here, moron. We rail against corporate subsidies, the Fed, fractional reserve lending, and the regulatory state in general all the time.

• Rick Santorum||

Really? Because it seems like you go into screaming fits at the suggestion that workers make more than Chinese peasants, but you grumble quietly when banks get bailed out. It's obvious that you idiots are completely biased against labor, which tells me that you're just a bunch of greedy corporate whores. You worship the rich and think that anyone who is poor deserves to be that way, when, even by your own admission, the government plays favorites in the market and allows cronyism to flourish.

• iggy||

'Grumble quietly when bankers get bailed out.'

Do you seriously think people here were in favor of the bailout? It's astonishing how none of the people who come here to argue actually argue with our positions and instead choose to argue with positions none of us hold. So let me be speak slowly and in small words so you can understand.

We. Are. Not. In. Favor. Of. Corporate. Welfare.

In fact, we DESPISE corporate welfare and I guarantee that you can find a good number of articles on Reason discussing just that. Libertarians were vehemently against the stimulus and the bailouts largely because that money went to large corporate interests without providing any legitimate economic benefits.

tl;dr: Idiot, argue with beliefs we actually have, not beliefs we've never advocated.

• Rick Santorum||

Do you seriously think people here were in favor of the bailout?

No. I think you were more in favor of it than suggesting that corporations pay their workers a living wage. At the mere suggestion that the working class make slightly higher wages in exchange for corporate executives making less money, the lolberts go into a screaming fit. On the other hand, there's little talk about how the free market could help the poor by giving them more opportunities. Instead, there's sneering contempt for people who have to work shitty minimum wage jobs, even in a recession that has been exacerbated by government interference in the market.

Face it. You guys are okay with the wealthy shitting on the underclass.

• VG Zaytsev||

Face it. You guys are okay with the wealthy shitting on the underclass.

So employing people is now shitting on them?

• Sevo||

"No. I think you were more in favor of it than suggesting that corporations pay their workers a living wage."

OK, ignoramus, define "living wage".

• ||

Living wage means firing some of your workers/raising prices to pay the rest more.

• Rick Santorum||

OK, ignoramus, define "living wage".

Since people keep asking me this, I'm going to start adding it as a signature to my posts.

• BigT||

Rick Santorum| 11.25.12 @ 8:11AM

OK, ignoramus, define "living wage".

OK, ignoramus, define "basic necessities". 1500 calories per day? Loose shoes, tight pussy, and a warm place to shit? Cable TV? Smart phone? Two pair of shoes? Car? Lobster every Friday? 2nd home? Vacation in Canary Islands? 40-ft yacht? 80-ft yacht? Jetstream?

$10 in savings per week? $1000 per month? $100,000 per year?

One man's necessities are another man's luxuries. That's why you can NEVER define or agree a 'living wage.'

• Rick Santorum||

Where I come from, necessities are food, drink, shelter, and oxygen. Should probably throw health care into that to account for a modern economy.
    _________________________________

• Jordan||

Yawn. It's obvious to TEAM RED trolls that we're on TEAM BLUE, and it's obvious to TEAM BLUE trolls that we're on TEAM RED. As it's always been. Why do you want poor people to pay more for food? Why do you want some poor people to lose their jobs so union leaders can get rich?

• Sevo||

Rick Santorum| 11.24.12 @ 3:41PM |#
    "Really? Because it seems like you go into screaming fits at the suggestion that workers make more than Chinese peasants, but you grumble quietly when banks get bailed out."

Seems you're trying to out-lie shithead. It's tough, but an idjit like you might do it.

• ||

I'm becoming very aware that Santorum is the Team Red version of T o n y.

• Sevo||

darius404| 11.24.12 @ 8:59PM |#
    "I'm becoming very aware that Santorum is the Team Red version of T o n y."

Obviously a troll, but not sure this is Team Red:
    "Face it. You guys are okay with the wealthy shitting on the underclass."
    I'm guessing lefty agent provocateur who is stupid enough to think the screen name grants some sympathetic reading of the posts.
    And Santorum boosters here? I haven't seen any.

• Redmanfms||

I'm becoming very aware that Santorum is the Team Red version of T o n y.

Nah, I'm fairly certain ol' Santorum is solid BLUE, through-and-though.

• An0nB0t||

Sorry to ruin the fun for one of the regulars, but the Santorum monicker is a sockpuppet, as it was around for a while in satirical form before it went full puppet.

Probably just one of the forum golden oldies having some fun with the rest of you (or helping you develop your debate skills, if you're feeling generous).

• tarran||

Rick Santorum is the pathetic Mary Stack's latest incarnation. She has various tells that Santorum is giving off in spades.

• Enyap||

Yeah, how could libertarians possibly object to workers using the force of government to force business owners into negotiating with them?

• Marshall Gill||

Coercion, the first rule of Libertarianism!

• Sevo||

Rick Santorum| 11.24.12 @ 1:22PM |#
    "I really don't understand the opposition libertarians have to workers bartering with their labor for higher wages and better benefits."

Well, it's obvious you don't understand something. Or you're purposely missing the point.
    I'm guessing the latter.

• Jordan||

I have no problem at all with workers bartering with their employers. I have a problem with them forcing their employer to listen. Why do you have a problem with Jehovah's Witnesses forcing themselves into your house?

• Xenocles||

I've worked on many holidays. It was part of the military job description. Working on holidays is part of the job description for big retail positions as well. If you can't handle it, maybe you need to find another industry.

• Mensan||

Try working in a hospital. I work almost every holiday.

• Pigoutultra||

I work at wally world full time and if i was union, i seriously doubt i would have gotten more than 20 hours of overtime plus 14 hours of holiday pay this holiday week.

• The Late P Brooks||

I'll have one outrage, please.

Hickey is only the highest-profile member of a pretty large group: people who are sick of playing bit parts in a game which has become entirely about money and ego, with the beauty and power of art having become just another commodity to be bought and sold. Art critic Jerry Saltz is another:

"I still can’t stand it. How a handful of very very rich people with penises likes buying the work of a handful of artists with penises for very very high prices in public, in front of other people with penises and some very tall thin blond people with great shoes and no penises. Really."

Apparently some people pay lots of money for works of Certified Important Art because they expect it to be worth even more later; you know, the exact thing all those people (with and without the almighty penis, one assumes) in the "courtier class" of the Artyverse have been coaching them to do for generations.

• Cytotoxic||

But PENISES.

• SKR||

Hey Dave, I have someone on the phone for you. It's a guy from the 16th century Venetian silk merchants guild. He says that you are a little late to the party.

• The Late P Brooks||

More:

The world of high-end art collectors, by contrast, has reached a level of obscenity that the art world more generally can no longer ignore. It’s been clear to the more politically-minded for a while, but now we’re seeing the mainstreaming of attitudes which used to be found only on the far left. Enough of living in a world where an artwork without resale value is worthless. Enough of feeling jealous when some idiot starts selling for ridiculous sums. Enough of a world where the levels of inequality make Nigeria seem positively egalitarian. Yes, artists need to make money, and yes, big collectors shower ridiculous sums onto the art world. But that money isn’t trickling down, and it certainly isn’t respectable.

Money ruins everything. Boo fucking hoo.I haven't read anything by Felix Salmon for a while. I see he remains a sanctimonious moralizing scold.

• Banjos||

BUT PENISES!!!!

Oh, my.

• Brutus||

Yoy of all people should know what trouble those things can cause.

• Ted S.||

It's been clear to the more politically-minded for a while

Translation: we should determine the quality of "art" based on whether or not is has the correct political views.

• The Late P Brooks||

And, of course, in the comments we get this:

This is just another manifestation of the lopsided distribution of income. There are too many people with more money than they can possibly spend, and it’s compounded by the fact that many of these same people only strive to make money for the sake of making money. Add in their egos, and you have three powerful forces driving this market.

When we have a tax system that doesn’t enable and encourage hoarding, the distribution of income will be broader, and bubbles like this will have a harder time getting inflated.

EVUL RICH PEOPLE!

Extra credit for use of "HOARDING".

• Sevo||

"There are too many people with more money than they can possibly spend"

Which is true, so it gets invested in businesses where the whiners could (maybe) get a job.

• Jake W||

No, clearly the government ought to confiscate it and hand it out for free.

• iggy||

'And it's compounded by the fact that many of these same people only strive to make money for the sake of making money.'

Personally I make money mostly so that I can fill a room with gold coins and roll around in it like Scrooge McDuck. This person clearly doesn't understand the habits of the rich and privileged.

• Marshall Gill||

You haven't slept until you have slept on a mattress stuffed with hundred dollar bills. I actually sleep on 7 mattresses stuffed with hundreds! Oh, the sweet, sweet sleep of oppression.

• ||

You're living small-time, Marshall. What the REALLY rich do is burn the money, and use the smoke from it to fill their air mattresses. It takes a lot more money to do something like that, and boy is it just the cushiest rest you'll never get to experience. You know, because you're poor.

• Redmanfms||

Pure decadence, the truly wealthy invest their hoarded funds in more monocle factories and child laborers, disaffecting more poor "people of color" and increasing global poverty.

• Generic Stranger||

But that would be selling out to THE MAN. Don't you know that corporate artists are the embodiment of all evil?

No one is despised quite like an apostate.

• Zeb||

It really seems like some people think that rich people just keep their money in a big pile in a vault or something.

• Suellington||

Even if they did that it would be beneficial because they would be taking hard currency out of circulation. It would be a very very small curb of inflation.

• newshutz||

after the zombie apocalypse will those be evil dead rich people?

Bruce Campbell roll out for another movie!

• Archduke Pantsfan||

Americans who love the Canadian Football

• sloopyinca||

Yay! 12-0. Fuck Michigan.*

The Buckeyes should have won that game by 17 points. Thanks a lot, Urban Meyer. You almost gave me a fucking heart attack.

• newshutz||

please don't use foul language. The f-word is is pushing it, but the other word is beyond the pale.

• Thomas O.||

What word? Michigan? Buckeyes?

And how long have you BEEN on this site? It's been almost-anything-goes for as long as I can remember.

• waaminn||

Sometimes you jsut have to roll with the punches dude.

www.Anony-Max.tk

• Brutus||

One thing about this book: You'll know instantly if it was written by Gutfeld or a ghost. I've rarely seen anyone with the thought process this guy has.

• MWD78||

just gonna leave this here...

• mangerson||

So, gang, how was that adrenaline rush? Is Greg right? Does it feel good?

• OldMexican||

Vote Labor Or We'll Take Your Children From You!

A couple had their three foster children taken away by a council on the grounds that their membership of the UK Independence Party meant that they supported "racist" policies.

• OldMexican||

Re: Rick Santorum,

Is that "living wage" accompanied by a reciprocal "living productivity" that allows the employer to afford the "living wage" earner? Just asking.

• Rick Santorum||

Quick question, bro. When a corporate executive rakes in millions while his workers make piss all, do you think that his workers aren't productive enough to make a living wage? I mean, they're productive enough that his salary for one year would sustain me for the rest of my life.
    _________________________________

• Lord Peter Wimsey||

Rick Santorum: you understand economics the way the real Rick Santorum understands Darwinian evolution. It's fact-free emotionalism.

"his salary for one year would sustain me for the rest of my life."

What a waste of his salary. Better to spend it on hookers.

Nice evasion, bro.

• Lewisite||

"I define a living wage as making enough money to afford basic necessities "

Define "basic necessities"

• Rick Santorum||

As I said earlier: food, water, shelter, oxygen. Include electricity and health care to account for living in 2012.

_________________________________

• Tak Kak||

Did man prior to 2012 not need health care?

• Sevo||

"When a corporate executive rakes in millions while his workers make piss all, do you think that his workers aren't productive enough to make a living wage?"

Are you too stupid to understand that people are paid what the market says they are worth?
    Are you stupid enough to think someone 'deserves' other than that?
    How stupid are you?

• Rick Santorum||

Lolling hard at the libertarian mantra that everyone is paid what they are worth. Love it when executives are paid big bucks while running a company into the ground--it's exactly what happened with Hostess.

_________________________________

• Tak Kak||

$1 is big bucks?

Perhaps things aren't as simple as you think they are.

$1 is big bucks?

Cool intellectual dishonesty, bro. I guess that $1 is the total compensation that an executive receives, right?

Oh, wait, you're a lying shithead libertarian who worships greed.
    _________________________________

• Tak Kak||

I didn't say total compensation - and neither did you.

Minus the libertarian part, the remainder of your post is pretty accurate Rick. (Which is impressive for someone with an obviously large rod up their butt.)

• JamesR||

Thank you for proving our point!

When a cleaner overlooks something he is probably overlooking a pile of dirt somewhere, or a misplaced garbage can.

When a mid level worker screws up a product or part of a project is scrapped.

When executives screw up the entire company goes out of business.

Ergo, executives are more valuable then everyone else. Thus their positions pay the best to attract the best talent. Does it guaranteed success, of course not

• JamesR||

_________________________________________
    Quick Question bro, which worker are you talking about?

Are you talking about the cleaner whose job can be done by an intelligence monkey or someone who dropped out of school in the 8th grade? Are you talking about the guy who works 40 hours a week and has two years of night school to this name? Or are you talking about the guy with two masters degree, who works 70 hours a week, has worked in locations far removed from friends and family and has a history of making good decisions regarding large amounts of cash.

• Agile Cyborg||

Liberal speech cops are EXACTLY like my Pentecostal father. Most of these types of liberals have no clue what company they keep.

Click here to follow Reason on Instagram

GET REASON MAGAZINE

Get Reason's print or digital edition before it’s posted online

• Video Game Nation: How gaming is making America freer – and more fun.
  • Matt Welch: How the left turned against free speech.
  • Nothing Left to Cut? Congress can’t live within their means.
  • And much more.