WATERTOWN — One of the men believed to be responsible for placing the bombs that struck the Boston Marathon on Monday, killing 3 and injuring more than 170, has been taken into custody after a standoff lasting nearly two hours in Watertown.
Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev, 19, of Cambridge was apprehended shortly before 8:45 p.m.
“They got him. He’s in custody,” a state trooper told the media gathered in the neighborhood. A crowd of onlookers broke into applause.
Tsarnaev had been hiding in a boat in the backyard of a home in Watertown, just outside the city. He was rushed to a local hospital. Police had approached him cautiously, worried that he might be wearing a suicide bomb vest.
“We got him,” Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino tweeted immediately aftewards. He took to the police radio to thank officers personally, telling them, “Good job, guys!”
A state official said that the suspect was “alive, conscious, captured.”
Source: Boston Globe. Read full article. (link)