- says it could take up to a year to destroy Syria’s chemical weapons stockpile. Germany denies chemicals it exported to the country between 2002 and 2006 were used in chemical weapons. Meanwhile, John McCain’s response in Pravda to Vladimir Putin’s New York Times op-ed on intervention in Syria focused on telling Russians Putin didn’t respect their dignity or accept their authority. Bashar Assad
- The naval base in Newport, Rhode Island did not appear to inform anyone else at the Navy of Aaron Alexis’ complaint to police about voices in his head and unknown persons following him and trying to attack him with vibrations.
- The Labor Department has interpreted federal law on private pensions to include same-sex married couples even in states that don’t recognize same-sex marriage.
- FBI statistics show Chicago as America’s murder capital, with 500 murders in 2012.
- The music and movie industries want search engines to do more to fight privacy and they’re trying to get Washington to coerce them into it.
- While international adoptions have fallen, adoptions by foreigners, mostly Europeans, of US children, mostly black, are up.
- State officials in Hawaii say there’s not much they can do about a molasses spill, which will largely take care of itself.
- Cher ripped Miley Cyrus’ VMA performance, saying it did not shock her and that Miley Cyrus can’t dance and has poor oral hygiene.
- Gwyneth Paltrow told Chelsea Handler she was addicted to sex after spending all her time with her.
GET REASON MAGAZINE
Get Reason's print or digital edition before it’s posted online
- Peter Suderman: Obamacare's 12 false premises and broken promises. Plus: The long, tortured quest for a conservative health policy.
- Consumers should drive medicine
- Jacob Sullum: Prosecutors disarm defendants by freezing their assets
- Ronald Bailey: The Aloha State’s dishonest anti-biotech campaign