Congressman Doesn't Want His Colleagues to Use the Term "Illegal Immigrant"

Rep. Bobby Rush (D-Ill.) introduced a non-binding resolution last week


Rep. Bobby Rush, D-Ill., wants his House colleagues to follow the lead of the news organization and use the term "undocumented" instead of "illegal" immigrant when referring to foreigners working in the United States without proper documentation.

The AP changed its oft-cited Stylebook last week to say it would only use "illegal immigrant" in direct quotes and that the word "illegal" should only be used to refer to an action, and not a person. USA TODAY also updated its style, and no longer uses the term outside of direct quotes.