Can the State Influence Baby-Making With Policy?
They're sure as hell trying.
Discussed in the show:
1:16: How policies do or do not affect people's personal decisions re: baby-making. Plus, child subsidies, and universal basic income for parents.
21:31: Parents give pause to their children returning to public schools after 2020 proved public schools to be finicky and teachers unions to be nasty.
32:54: No, the high rate of unemployment and gender disparity in the recent Bureau of Labor Statistics jobs report are not surprising.
41:19: Weekly Listener Question: I work with small business owners, many of whom are
restaurant owners. Many are in the process of applying for the newly available Restaurant Revitalization Fund operated by the Small Business Administration. The program opens today (May 3). However, if you are not a woman, veteran, or socially or economically disadvantaged (read: from a certain race) business owner, you will not be considered for support from this program for 21 days, regardless of need. From a libertarian perspective, do you feel that this is a discriminatory or racist program, or is this a fair approach to supporting small businesses?
54:15: Weekly Media Recommendations.
This weeks links:
- "Are Women Less Able to Fulfill their Fertility Goals?" by Scott Winship
- "I Became a Mother at 25, and I'm Not Sorry I Didn't Wait," by Elizabeth Bruenig
- "Schools Are Open, but Many Families Remain Hesitant to Return," by Dana Goldstein
- "The Small Business Administration Picks Losers Over Winners," by Adam Andrzejewski
- "Paycheck Protection Program Exclusion of Nude Dancing Establishments Upheld," by Eugene Volokh
- "Disaster Relief for Small Businesses Is a Disaster All Its Own," by Veronique de Rugy
- "New Jobs Report Shows the Government Gets the Unemployment It's Paying For," by Christian Britschgi
- "Covid Relief Funds Fueled a High-Performance Shopping Spree, Prosecutors Say," by Azy Paybarah
Send your questions to email@example.com. Be sure to include your social media handle and the correct pronunciation of your name.
- Data privacy is now finally in your hands. Introducing Sekur, the Swiss-hosted instant messaging and email platform. Trusted by privacy advocates across the globe, this 100 percent proprietary technology has no affiliation with Amazon, Google, or Microsoft. Your data are now completely in your hands and not in Big Data's. Make the move to Sekur today at https://sekur.com/.
- DonorsTrust can help you roll over a pre-existing account in three simple steps or help you get started with a new donor-advised account. See how with your free Donor Prospectus. Go to donorstrust.org/REASON to see how to get started with a charitable partner that understands.
Audio production by Ian Keyser.
Assistant production by Regan Taylor.
Music: "Angeline," by The Brothers Steve.