A.M. Links: Maduro Wins Venezuelan Election, Inmates Clash With Guards at Gitmo, Global Military Expenditure Fell in 2012
(Fabio Rodrigues Pozzebom/ABr)
- Venezuela's electoral authority has declared Nicolas Maduro the winner of the presidential election. Chavez's hand-picked successor narrowly beat Henry Capriles, who has demanded a recount.
- Inmates at Guantanamo Bay have clashed with guards after communal housing was ended at one of the camps.
- Global military expenditure dropped in 2012 for the first time in over a decade, according to the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute.
- The LAPD will no longer provide the media immediate information on celebrity "swatting" cases.
- At least 32 people have been killed in coordinated attacks in Iraq.
- Scientists have created a functioning lab grown kidney that produces urine when transplanted into animals.
Follow Reason 24/7 on Twitter!
Have a news tip? Send it to us!