The Friday Political Thread: Did You Know Pat Leahy Has a Cameo in The Dark Knight?
Off-Message Quote of the Week
"The Muslims have said either we kneel, or they're going to kill us."
– McCain spokeshero Bud Day (whom I believe has permanently glued his Medal of Honor to his shirt)
The Week in Brief
– Bob Barr kept up his offensive on John McCain over judicial appointments.
– Dick Heller tried to register his guns.
– The GOP opened up its platform online and was promptly overrun by Ron Paul supporters. Seriously, they didn't see that coming?
– Congress's other Dr. No headed back to Congress.
– Barack Obama made advances in the war on poverty.
– Congress overrode the president's Medicare veto.
Below the Fold
– Tom Knapp, a Libertarian who's un-endorsed Barr (and is running as the Boston Tea Party's VP candidate), has interesting ruminations on the purity fight within the movement.
– Richard Spencer reviews Grand New Party.
– Ben Friedman tells Obama how to handle Iran.
– The Algernonization of the Right continues apace.
– Naomi Klein vs Jonathan Chait: the long-awaited sequel to Bambi vs. Godzilla.
The new issue of the Believer includes—of all things—a Gentle Giant appreciation by Rick Moody. The perfect excuse to post this.
SATURDAY UPDATE: I think Ed Morrissey is rattling the chains too wildly here. So: When she left the presidential race, Hillary Clinton's close allies bought hillary2012.com. Is it evidence that she wants Obama to lose? I seriously doubt it. One, her Senate re-election bid is coming in 2012. Two, if Clinton is as Machiavellian as the Right spent the last 20 years saying she was, would she actually telegraph her Obama doltschuss plan by buying a web domain? It's more likely her team bought the domain to stop Clinton's more Alex Forrestian followers from launching their own "defeat Obama now and get Hillary later" site. (Party Unity My Ass, the much-hyped if little-populated anti-Obama group, geared up days after this web domain was purchased.) Obama's fundraising and consistent poll lead over McCain are dripping pesticide over any left-wing or Clinton revanchist movement to stop him.
Oh, and who's that at Netroots Nation in Texas?