- A young man is suspected of killing 6 adults and 20 children at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn. He was initially identified as Ryan Lanza and his body found among the dead. The media is, of course, awash in early speculation about what happened and engaging in irresponsible behavior like linking to a Facebook page of a guy named Ryan Lanza who wasn’t the same person. Also, the shooter might not even be Ryan Lanza. Media outlets are now indicating that the shooter is his younger brother, Adam.
- In China, a knife-wielding man slashed 22 children at an elementary school there today. The details and extent of the injuries were not reported.
- GOP Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal wants to allow over-the-counter sales of birth control pills to help eliminate the argument that the Republican Party hates contraceptives
- Ron Paul supporters played a significant role in the Occupy movement, at least among those who understood how the 1 percent benefited from government largesse.
- Western countries rejected a United Nations treaty over management of the Internet because it gave too much authority to repressive governmental regimes (even more repressive than those of the Western countries).
- Medicaid costs are big problems in trying to balance state budgets, which doesn’t bode well for efforts to expand coverage.
Have a news tip for us? Send it to: email@example.com.