Bergdahl Pleads Guilty to Desertion, Ophelia Strikes Ireland, Verdict in Chelsea Bombing Trial: P.M. Links
Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl has pleaded guilty to desertion and faces a maximum penalty of life in prison. He disappeared from his post in 2009 and was held in captivity by the Taliban until 2014.
- Former Hurricane Ophelia has struck Ireland, with wind gusts up in the 80s. Three have been killed.
- Ahmad Rahimi has been found guilty of eight federal charges for the pressure cooker bomb that exploded in a Chelsea, New York, neighborhood in 2016, injuring 30.
- A Florida politician who says she has been abducted by aliens is running for Congress.
- A federal judge declined today to dismiss any of the 18 corruption-related charges against New Jersey Democratic Sen. Robert Menendez.
- Some folks seem to think that Attorney General Jeff Sessions offering up a lawyer to assist in the prosecution of a man accused of murdering a transgender teen is some sort of proof of layers and complexity in a man with a long anti-LGBT background. The more likely, logical explanation is that he really, really likes putting people in prison for really long sentences.
- The Clinton Foundation is keeping the $250,000 donation it has received from Harvey Weinstein. A spokesperson says they've spent the money on charitable causes.
- A judge has ordered the imprisonment of two leaders of the Catalan independence movement while they're being investigated for sedition in Spain.