Trump Maybe (Maybe Not) Wants Thiel on SCOTUS, Clinton Back on Campaign, Sandra Bland Family Gets Settlement: P.M. Links
Today in Donald Trump: Peter Thiel is denying a report that Trump is considering him for nomination to the Supreme Court. Trump Jr. says they're not releasing Trump's tax returns because they'll distract from the main messages of his campaign. Trump's doctor says he's overweight and takes drugs for cholesterol, but is otherwise in good shape.
- Today in Hillary Clinton: Clinton is back on the campaign trail after her bout with pneumonia. And the State Department has delayed a response to a Freedom of Information Act request for communication between the federal agency and a consulting firm full of political movers-and-shakers until after the election.
- Police in Columbus, Ohio, shot and killed a 13-year-old boy who allegedly pulled a BB gun on them in a confrontation over his suspected involvement in an armed robbery. Police say the gun looked just like a real gun. Another participant in the alleged robbery claimed that the teen was running away when police shot him.
- The family of Sandra Bland, who died in jail in Texas following a heavily criticized arrest during a traffic stop, has agreed to a $1.9 million wrongful death settlement.
- A man has been arrested for damaging and trying to burn down the mosque attended by the Orlando nightclub shooter. According to a police report, he said he didn't want to hurt anyone and was "embarrassed" by the crime.
- A hitman testified that Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte presided over the extrajudicial killings of thousands of criminals and political opponents when he was a mayor and ordered some of the killings himself.
- The push continues to try to convince President Barack Obama to pardon Edward Snowden.