A.M. Links: Democrats Debate Tonight, Russian-Made Missile Brought Down Malaysia Airlines MH17, U.S. Airdrops Ammo to Syrian Rebels
White House hopefuls Hillary Clinton, Bernie Sanders, Jim Webb, Martin O'Malley, and Lincoln Chafee will share the stage tonight in Las Vegas for the first Democratic presidential debate of the 2016 race.
- Dutch investigators have confirmed that Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 was shot down by a Russian-made surface-to-air missile fired from eastern Ukraine.
- Is billionaire casino mogul Sheldon Adelson preparing to endorse Marco Rubio for president?
- "Sen. Rand Paul praised House Republicans' most conservative members for effectively ending one Speaker's tenure and sending the party into disarray as it looks for another."
- The U.S. is airdropping ammunition and other supplies to Syrian rebels fighting against ISIS.
- A Connecticut school district has cancelled Halloween on grounds of political correctness. The decision arose, the district informed parents, "out of numerous incidents of children being excluded from activities due to religion, cultural beliefs, etc."
New at Reason
- Brickbat: Too Much, Magic Bus By Charles Oliver
- A Libertarian-Gay Divorce? Government-sponsored discrimination is nearly eradicated. So what's left to work together on? By Scott Shackford
- Baby Boomers Share Blame for Today's Censorship-Happy Students The students of today aren't super-coddled, they're just following the logic of censorship that earlier liberals either helped to set in motion or shrugged their shoulders at. By Brendan O'Neill
- Sloppy U.N. Cyberviolence Report Uses Damsels in Digital Distress to Cheer Censorship Why did the U.N. feel justified in recommending such illiberal censorship policies while providing such shoddy evidence to back their claims? By Andrea Castillo
- New York's Unlicensed Cabbies, and Their Passengers, Get a Long Overdue Break As the city's assault on gypsy cabs gets a slap, and restrictions are eased, maybe it's time for officials to just get out of the way. By J.D. Tuccille
- How Silicon Valley Is Abetting Anti-Beef Hindu Barbarians in India Mark Zuckerberg can atone for embracing Narendra Modi by sponsoring for asylum the family of the man lynched for eating beef. By Shikha Dalmia