Opposition Vote on Iran Deal Fails in Congress, U.S. Building Wall in Niger, Arctic Mosquito Showing Up Earlier: A.M. Links
(Lauren Cuiler via ABC)
- Votes against the Iran nuclear deal failed in the Congress. The State Department plans to begin implementing the agreement on October 18.
- Taliban gunmen attacked a military air base in Peshawar, with Pakistani soldiers killing at least eight of the militants.
- The United States is helping build a wall on the border of Niger to prevent incursions by Boko Haram militants from Nigeria.
- The president of Somalia insists recent advances by Al Shabaab militants don't mean a resurgence for the Al Qaeda affiliate.
- At least 12 people were killed in an earthquake in Chile.
- The Aedes nigripes, a mosquito in the Arctic, is getting a longer breeding season and so showing up earlier in the year.
New at Reason.com:
- Movie Review: Sicario and Black Mass Emily Blunt and Benicio Del Toro take on the drug cartels and Johnny Depp bids for a comeback. by Kurt Loder
- Forget Justice: Cops Just Want Money Police lobbyists swarm the California Capitol to derail popular asset-forfeiture reform bill. by Steven Greenhut
- Brickbats: They Are Lawyers, Not Physicists by Charles Oliver