Amtrak Derails Outside Philly, Pentagon Staff Expense Strippers, Uber Helicopter Is Here: A.M. Links
- At least six people were killed and more than 100 injured when an Amtrak train on its way from Washington, D.C., to New York City derailed outside of Philadelphia Tuesday night. "It is an absolute disastrous mess," said Philly mayor Michael Nutter in a press conference. "Never seen anything like this in my life."
- This is Amtrak's second fatality-causing accident in less than a week. Last Sunday, a train collided with a truck in Amite, Louisiana, killing injuring two train passengers and killing the truck's driver.
- Defense Department personnel expensed $952,258 at casinos and $96,576 at strip clubs in fiscal year 2013-2014.
- "Traditional" marriage is the real outlier, writes Cato's Trevor Burrus, exploring the institution's history at The Washington Post.
- Welcome to the new Facebook, "where you won't be able to escape your second cousin posting lifestyle features about kale."
- Private prisons "diversify" in the face of criminal justice reform.
- Uber helicopter hits Cannes.
- The U.K. continues slouching toward dystopia.