New Defense Secretary (Maybe) Picked, Detroit Has Massive Blackout, Ukraine's New Government Forms: P.M. Links
It is possible that former Pentagon official Ashton Carter is President Barack Obama's pick to be the next secretary of defense, but it's also possible it's just a big Beltway game of telephone that will end up with some media outlet reporting that Elaine Schwartz, a dental hygienist from Akron, Ohio, will be joining the president's cabinet.
- A cable failure caused a massive power outage in Detroit, affecting even emergency responders and jails.
- A high school student in Georgia is starting a petition to try to kill off the federal school lunch guidelines after a cafeteria worker denied her honey mustard, which certainly must be some sort of United Nations violation.
- New York City has allocated $130 million to reopen Arkham Asylum increase health services for mentally troubled people in the criminal justice system.
- Ukraine's parliament has finally hammered out the formation of a new government.
- Cyber Monday sales were up, but not by as much as analysts predicted because sales are now things that are happening all the time, spreading out consumer spending.
Reason's annual Webathon is underway! Your (tax-deductible!) gift will help Reason magazine, Reason.com, and Reason TV bring the case for "Free Minds and Free Markets" to bigger and bigger audiences. For giving levels and associated swag, go here now.