President Wants New Spending to Monitor Militarized Cops, Americans Anticipate Government Gridlock, Hong Kong Cracks Down on Protesters: P.M. Links
President Obama wants new rules on police use of military equipment and new federal spending to buy cops body cameras to make sure they're abiding by those new rules. Ummm…Wouldn't simply cutting off the flow of armored vehicles be cheaper? Just sayin'…
- The House is taking up, yet again, a one-year extension on some corporate and individual tax breaks. Hey, if you folks want to kneecap the IRS while you're at it, it'd be much appreciated.
- Americans' opinions of the Republican Party are improving even as they see gridlock as the likely outcome of a GOP Congress. Cause and effect? You decide.
- Iraq's prime minister canned 24 Interior Ministry officials cuz the whole ISIS thing is getting out of hand.
- A voter-approved constitutional cap on income tax rates goes into effect in Georgia. Which is nice.
- The Chinese and Brazilian economies both look pretty lousy, though lower gas prices are giving Americans some welcome relief in the wallet.
- In the wake of mass arrests, Hong Kong's chief executive warned protesters to stay off the streets.
- Researchers say that every three minutes a child is injured by a toy. Well, hell, give the kid something that isn't labeled "Spyderco" to play with.