A.M. Links: Shirley Temple Dead at 85, Internet Freedom Activists Planning Day of Protest, Immigration Reform Groups To Confront House Republicans
(hto2008 / Foter / CC BY-NC)
- Shirley Temple, the former child movie star who also served as U.S. ambassador to Ghana and Czechoslovakia, has died at the age of 85.
- Manuel Osorio-Arellanes, who shot and killed a border patrol agent near the U.S.-Mexico border in 2010, was sentenced to thirty years in prison yesterday. Guns linked to Operation Fast and Furious were found at the site of the killing.
- China and Taiwan have held the first direct government talks since the end of the Chinese Civil War in 1949.
- Immigration reform groups are to begin confronting House Republicans at public events in an attempt to shame them into engaging with immigration reform proposals.
- The wife of a cancer patient claims that her husband was humiliated by TSA agents who laughed at his diaper and strip-searched him.
- Internet freedom activists are planning a day of protest against the NSA. Thousands of websites are planning to display banners urging visitors to call members of Congress and voice their opposition to the FISA Improvements Act.
Get Reason.com and Reason 24/7 content widgets for your websites.