A.M. Links: Philip Seymour Hoffman Dead, Yellen To Be Sworn in as Fed Chair, EU Commissioner Calls Corruption Across the EU 'Breathtaking'
(European Parliament / Foter / CC BY-NC-ND)
- Academy Award-winning actor Philip Seymour Hoffman was found dead in his Manhattan apartment yesterday. Unnamed law enforcement officials told the Associated Press that Hoffman is believe to have died from a drug overdose.
- Janet Yellen will be sworn in as the Chairwoman of the Federal Reserve today.
- European Union Home Affairs Commissioner Cecilia Malmstroem has said that corruption across the E.U. is "breathtaking."
- Al Qaeda claims that it has no ties to the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant, which has been fighting rebel groups in Syria.
- Today is the deadline for top aides to New Jersey Governor Chris Christie to reply to subpoenas made by legislators investigating lane closures between Fort Lee and the George Washington Bridge.
- The recent election in Thailand has done little to end the political stalemate.