Former Frat Boys Found Not Liable in Hazing Death
Pledge died of alcohol poisoning in 2008
WILMINGTON, Del. — Two former fraternity members are not responsible for a pledge's hazing death in 2008, a jury in the civil trial ruled Friday.
Brett Griffin, 18, of Kendall Park, N.J., died early Nov. 8, 2008, from alcohol poisoning after a night of drinking at a Sigma Alpha Mu "Big Brother" party. His parents filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the national fraternity and several members in 2009, settling before the trial with all but former chapter president Jason Aaron and former pledge master Matthew Siracusa.
"This is the reason kids are still dying from hazing in 2013," Julie Griffin, Brett Griffin's mother, said as she left the courtroom. "Everyone wants to blame it on the kids."