- Obama will announce later today that he is nominating Janet Yellen, the current Federal Reserve vice chair, to be the next Federal Reserve chairman.
- The Nobel Prize in chemistry has been awarded to three scientists for their work on computer simulations used to illustrate the structure of molecules.
- Former Egyptian President Morsi’s trial will begin on Nov. 4. Morsi is accused of inciting the murder of his opponents.
- Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) has said that a short-term deal to reopen the government would be “unconditional surrender.”
- The 9-year-old boy who boarded a flight from Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport to Las Vegas without a ticket last week previously stole a car.
- Italian Prime Minister Enrico Letta has announced that a state funeral will be held for the hundreds of migrants who died after their boat sank near the island of Lampedusa last week.
Have a news tip for us? Send it to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Reason.com and Reason 24/7 content widgets for your websites.