- expected to take center stage at President Obama's Sermon on the Mount State of the Union speech (which Reason's crack staff will be live-tweeting). Self-defense rights, and attacks by politicians on the same, are
- Short-term unemployment may almost be back to normal, but the long-term variety remains at exactly triple its average from 2001-7. Economists say they're perplexed.
- Privacy advocates worry over the government's growing ability to track our movements by car, by drone and through social media.
- The lower house of France's national assembly approved same-sex marriage, moving the country's gays and lesbians one step closer to the ability to cheat on their spouses with the same wild abandon as their heterosexual compatriots.
- The U.S. is, at long last, withdrawing 34,000 troops — just over half the total — from Afghanistan.
- In one of the coolest pranks ever, hackers broke into the emergency broadcast system and inserted a voice and text alert of a pending zombie apocalypse that then went out over the air.
- Exercising the due diligence for which it has become famous, the Washington Post fell for a gag story that Sarah Palin is joining Al Jazeeraa.
Have a news tip for us? Send it to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Follow Reason 24/7 on Twitter: @reason247