- President Obama presented a 23 step program for gun control that includes proposals for an “assault weapons” ban, a 10-round limit on magazine capacity and more background checks. The proposals have a price tag of $500 million. A second Republican congressman says impeachment ought to be on the table in response to executive actions restricting gun rights. The NRA, meanwhile, responded with a new fundraising appeal.
- Al-Qaeda-linked militants from Mali took more than 40 hostages, including several Americans, after raiding a BP oil field on the Algerian side of the Algeria-Libya border.
- Defense Secretary nominee Chuck Hagel’s confirmation hearings at the Senate Armed Services Committee is scheduled for January 31.
- Lance Armstrong’s admission of using performance-enhancing drugs is not enough for some anti-doping authorities. They want him to testify under oath before being allowed to compete again.
- The CEO of Whole Foods explained on NPR that he thought Obamacare was a form of fascism, not socialism.
- Interior Secretary Ken Salazar is the latest member of the Obama administration heading for the exit.
Follow Reason 24/7 on Twitter!
Have a news tip? Send it to us!