- There's been no progress in talks on averting January's scheduled automatic tax hikes and spending sort-of-cuts, says House Speaker John Boehner. He wants the White House to make a counter-offer to the GOP plan President Obama already rejected.
- Emergency workers responding to Superstorm Sandy were told to go sightseeing by unprepared FEMA officials. They cooled their heels for nearly four days.
- A hazmat crew showed up at Seminole High School in in Pinellas County, Florida, because ... a kid brought a mercury thermometer to school as his contribution to an assignment to bring something from the Periodic Table of Elements. Yeah, that's our world.
- In Cairo, protesters stormed the presidential palace and demanded the resignation of self-appointed absolute chief, President Morsi. If the first revolution doesn't work, try another.
- Mark Wahlberg sparked a pissing match with the Canadian federal government over whether our neighbors to the north are doing enough to subsidize the production of Hollywood movies that are, come to think of it, the property of movie studios that should probably pay for the damned things, themselves.
- It may be possible to create a universe with only a hundred-thousandth of a gram of matter. So set your drink down very carefully.
- The Supreme Court will take on gay marriage after all! Cases involving both California's Prop. 8 and the Defense of Marriage Act have been accepted by the justices.
- Support Reason’s 2012 webathon today.
Have a news tip for us? Send it to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Don’t forget to sign up for Reason’s daily AM/PM updates for more content.