Are you a journalist just starting out who loves free minds and free markets? Reason wants to hire you. The ideal candidate will possess the ability to write quickly and clearly for a mass audience, a basic understanding of politics and public policy, and an appreciation for the libertarian worldview. This is an entry-level role.
Candidates should be comfortable working in a flexible, collaborative environment taking edits and assignments, but also interested in pitching ideas of their own. We always appreciate applicants who already have an area of expertise, but we're especially looking for an applicant who is comfortable doing a little bit of everything, from exploring the details of tax legislation to reporting on statehouse shenanigans, police misconduct, and the latest in unregulated cloning technology. Professional journalism experience isn't required, but a willingness to learn is. This position is based in Washington, D.C.
JOB DUTIES INCLUDE:
- Writing daily news items for Reason.com
- Pitching and reporting out longer-form stories in your area(s) of interest as time allows
- Crafting topical short pieces for Reason's print magazine
- Assisting with miscellaneous magazine and/or web duties as assigned
- At least three published clips
- Grasp of journalistic practices and ethics
- Sharp organizational skills
- Ability to think about news stories from a libertarian angle
Send clips, cover letter, and résumé to email@example.com.