The Reason team is looking for a Web Developer to help build modern web user experiences, and upgrade existing WordPress projects. This person will work closely with a small, distributed team, and will therefore need to have excellent communication skills and be highly self-driven.
With 2.5 million unique users per month, this is an opportunity for someone with experience in WordPress to build products and features that will be seen by a wide audience. The WordPress Developer will assist in making upgrades to existing WordPress themes and plugins, including work with the Gutenberg block editor, design and build interactive data tools for Reason Foundation's research projects, and work with a variety of vendor APIs and integrations.
- Be fluent in PHP, HTML, and CSS, especially in the context of WordPress plugins and themes (2+ years experience)
- Have experience working with modern build tools like Webpack, NPM, Yarn
- Have experience integrating 3rd-party APIs
- Be very comfortable using Git (1+ years experience)
- Have a willingness to follow best practices and write clean code
- Be capable of working independently on a small team while maintaining your own set of responsibilities
- Have experience creating databases and writing queries in MySQL, or some comparable database platform
- Understanding of and commitment to Reason's organizational mission and goals
- Experience with managing a Linux, Nginx, MySQL, PHP stack
- Experience configuring and managing a PHP server
- Bash, Python, or other scripting experience
- TDD (Test-Driven Development) or demonstrable experience writing unit tests, UX tests
- Experience developing secure forms in PHP
- Experience with payment processing
- Experience with SEO best practices
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.