Reason's mission is to advance a free society by developing, applying, and promoting libertarian principles—including individual liberty, free markets, and the rule of law. We use journalism and public policy research to influence the frameworks and actions of policymakers, journalists, and opinion leaders.
As the Director of Audience Development you'll help deepen Reason's connections with our unique community, grow the audience, and lead the effort to maximize the reach and impact of content and communications being created across Reason. You will evaluate the effectiveness of existing audience development activities and work with the Reason team to develop new strategies, build plans, and implement marketing and engagement activities to engage existing audiences and bring in new ones.
- Creating, evaluating, and executing strategies through the use data-based analyses and audience insights to expand Reason's audiences as measured by digital and offline engagement metrics, including magazine and newsletter subscription growth, revenue growth, and social and policy change
- Compiling and presenting audience insights and reports into actionable and data-supported recommendations that editorial, research, marketing, and other relevant teams can use to engage and grow audiences
- Defining, executing, and analyzing content and outreach tactics to grow and nurture a highly-engaged community across relevant platforms
- Bringing Reason's content and ideas to audiences through new channels, platforms and partnerships
- Creating and implementing paid advertising campaigns on various platforms
- Working with others on our communications/marketing, development, editorial, and research teams to translate our audience goals into other measurable metrics of success across the organization
- Understanding our current analytics products, defining ways and working with others to enhance them and incorporate audience insights and analytics into content creation
- Monitoring industry trends, research and past efforts to identify best practices for channel execution that improves audience experience and outcomes
- Communicating and championing our audience goals internally
- Preparing materials for our Board of Directors and major donors
- 5+ years of marketing experience with an emphasis on audience development, community growth, and content distribution
- 2+ years audience development, analytics, outreach, or marketing experience with a newsroom, publication or comparable media organization
- Experience developing audience insights to help better understand website, newsletter, video and podcast audiences' actions and behaviors and improve those experiences
- Intimate working knowledge of how to design for, optimize to, and target the right audiences across content distribution channels
- Advertising campaign creation and media buying experience
- Understanding of audience analytics and experience with Google Analytics, Chartbeat, Parse.ly, social media platform insights tools, and other tools for audience insights
- Strong familiarity/understanding of libertarian ideas and free-market principles
- Prior experience working in brand strategy, creative, or content development
- Strong writing and editing skills, with keen attention to detail
- Ability to manage both urgent, short-term and complex, longer-term projects
- Entrepreneurial and digitally savvy, with exceptional analytical, quantitative, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills
Send your resume, cover letter, and work samples to: email@example.com.
Due to the expected volume of applications, we will follow up with the most applicable candidates but cannot respond individually to all applicants.