- likely President Obama will order limited cruise missile strikes on Syria in response to alleged chemical weapons use by the regime. The British military is also preparing a plan for military intervention in Syria. American lawmakers appear to feel being “consulted” about military action in Syria would be enough, while the British parliament is being recalled to debate what the response to the alleged chemical weapons use ought to be. Russia has warned of “catastrophic consequences” if there’s a Western military intervention in Syria. US officials say it’s
- Jack Lew told Congress the federal government will hit the debt ceiling, at about $16.7 trillion, by mid-October, sooner than previously expected, and told CNBC President Obama is not interested in negotiating about raising the debt limit.
- The IRS is apparently targeting the American Legion, requiring extra recordkeeping and certain personal information of members, and threatening branches that don’t comply with $1,000 a day fined. Kansas Senator Jerry Moran believes the tactics are a brainchild of Lois Lerner.
- A Georgia judge ruled the use of police lights by cops makes a traffic stop involuntary after a police officer tried to argue to the contrary after busting someone for possessing marijuana that was apparently mostly stems and seeds.
- A pair of former Islamist militant groups in Egypt are looking to negotiate a truce between the Egyptian military and the Muslim Brotherhood –they want the military to stop cracking down on the Brothers and the Brothers to stop demonstrating in the streets.
- While there are only about 18,000 children doing it now, homeschooling is apparently catching on in China.
GET REASON MAGAZINE
Get Reason's print or digital edition before it’s posted online
- Peter Suderman: Obamacare's 12 false premises and broken promises. Plus: The long, tortured quest for a conservative health policy.
- Consumers should drive medicine
- Jacob Sullum: Prosecutors disarm defendants by freezing their assets
- Ronald Bailey: The Aloha State’s dishonest anti-biotech campaign