- An extinct lizard has been named after the president. Obamadon gracilis was one of many species to go extinct after an asteroid hit Earth 65 million years ago.
- Mali’s prime minister was forced to resign after being arrested by soldiers under the command of the army captain who led the military coup in March.
- Three private companies have received about $10 million each from NASA. Boeing, SpaceX, and Sierra Nevada Corp. will use the money to ensure their spaceflight systems meet NASA’s requirements for ferrying astronauts.
- Californian schools owe billions in bond interest. Capital appreciation bonds come with a lot of interest, a $2.5 million loan taken out in 2010 will now cost $34 million to repay.
- HSBC have settled with the U.S. Department of Justice and will pay a $1.92 billion fine after failing to clamp down on money laundering.
- At least 26,000 kids are missing school in Michigan today because their teachers plan to take the day off to protest right-to-work legislation.
Have a news tip? Send it to us!