- Defense Secretary Leon Panetta claims America’s “within an inch of war almost every day” with regard to North Korea. “We just have to be very careful about what we say and what we do,” he continued.
- Chinese media outlets mocked India’s missile test this week, calling the missile a “dwarf” compared to China’s own arsenal.
- LA’s school authorities want to roll back stricter graduation standards, fearing an increase in the drop-out rate with the stricter standards.
- A woman whose face was mauled off by a friend’s monkey wants to sue the state of Connecticut for $150 million for allowing her friend to own the chimp.
- Two of the secret service agents involved with prostitutes in Colombia have been identified, with one allegedly posting on Facebook that he “was really checking out” Vice Presidential candidate Sarah Palin while assigned to protect her.
- Anti-war activist Cindy Sheehan is set to appear in court today to defend her decision not to pay federal income taxes. "I refuse to fund the empire's crimes and wars," Sheehan said. "I feel a certain amount of guilt that my taxes were used to murder my own son."
Do you want hot links and other Reason goodies delivered to your inbox twice a day? Sign up here for Reason's morning and afternoon news updates.
New at Reason.tv: "Too Much Copyright"