From Monday 1 October 2012 the National Minimum Wage (NMW) will rise in accordance with the recommendations set out by the Low Pay Commission in its 2012 report.
From October 2012:
· The adult rate will increase by 11 pence to £6.19 an hour
· The rate for 18-20 year olds will remain at £4.98 an hour
· The rate for 16-17 year olds will remain at £3.68 an hour
· The rate for apprentices will increase by 5 pence to £2.65 an hour and
· The accommodation offset will increase by 9 pence to £4.82 per day.
The Government is committed to the NMW because of the protection it provides to low paid workers and the incentives it provides to work. Around 1 million of Britain’s lowest-paid workers will gain from these changes.